I walk up the stairs to the office of the P.I. I hired, wondering if he found anything.
"That was actually quite easy. I wish they all could be that way," the man says after I ask him. He hands me a piece of paper to read before he says, "Residency transfer papers. I guess she didn't have a choice there."
Sunlit Tides, I think as I look at the paper.
"Thank you," I say as I get out my checkbook.
I royally screwed up. In fact, I doubt there could be a way I could've messed things up more thoroughly.
There was always that temptation there... I knew her friend wanted me. Hell, half the cheerleading squad did too, but no one could come close to the quiet, pretty little blonde sitting in the stands, watching me. I grin in spite of my depression when I remember how thrilled she looked when I asked her out that first time.
My smile is short-lived when I remember how quiet she was for months as I begged for forgiveness. Once she'd finished screaming at me and throwing everything within reach, her silence couldn't have been louder.
If I'd have known why she wanted to sell the house, I never would've given in like that.
I know where to go next: Bill's.
"Hey," he says when he answers my knock. We'd become friends in high school when he played quarterback to my wide receiver. After I graduated, he took the team to state.
"I found her," I say and show him the paper as I walk inside. I've already memorized the address.
"She doesn't want to be found," he says bluntly.
"I still thought I'd let you know what I know what with you being her brother and all."
He sighs. "Thank you. At least I know where she is, but if you go there, she won't be happy to see you. Leave her alone."
"I won't," I say, starting to get mad. I've had it with him trying to tell me to back off and forget it! Forget her? No way in hell am I going to do that.
"She ran away from you! If it weren't for you and your fucking things up, she'd still be here," he growls.
"Fuck you. I didn't come over here to listen to this shit again." I get up and grumble about going out of my way to let him know where his sister is only to get chewed out again.
On my way out the door, I hear him say, "Just because I can bear to be in the same room with you, and that's because I've already kicked your ass once, doesn't mean I'm going to just forget all about what you did." I stop and he keeps talking, "I'm telling you as a friend. Leave her alone. Oh but hey, what do I know, right?" His voice is laced with sarcasm. Then he says, "If her leaving town isn't an obvious 'leave me alone,' then nothing I can say will prevent you from it."
I snatch back the paper and say, "Leaving is exactly what I'm doing. I'm going. I still have that leave I was gonna use for our honeymoon. Looks like I'm going on vacation!" I grin to his scowl as I finally exit his house.
Desmond Lumpkin
I don't know why it is that I have to be the one to go to the airport to pick up Bryce's new waitress. Yeah sure, I'm the contact that got her the job and him the employee, but does that really mean I have to go and get her?
'Because the chit's father saved your skin and this is the least you can do,' my inner voice tells me.
Shut up, I tell it back. I hate being indebted to anyone or anything. I bet the brat doesn't know the first thing about hard work what with growing up rich and spoiled like she probably did.
I can easily picture her in my head. I bet she looks lost and in need of a babysitter, hence the whole reason I have to pick her up in the first place.
I angrily slam the door closed on my Mercedes as I pull away from the office, again wishing Bryce was doing this instead of me.
I stand here and watch the passengers from her flight as they arrive, and I'm holding a sign that says 'Parren' in my hand. I vaguely wonder again what my birth name was. I was two when family services came and took me from my parents before depositing me into the foster care system, and I was never told, not that I cared enough to ask, what it was. The less-than-fabulous Lumpkins adopted me and acted like I should kiss the ground they walked upon for doing so.
I see a tanned blonde girl walk out of the line, looking around, and I vaguely wonder if this is the new waitress. She looks very similar to the way I pictured her except...
She's beautiful.
Why does she have to be beautiful?
She walks up to me with a questioning look in her emerald eyes. "Parren?" she asks in a sexy French accent.
I immediately feel like being a smart-ass. "That's what the sign says, doesn't it?"
She rolls those eyes of hers and says, "That's okay. I don't need your help. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself." Then she turns and walks away.
"Oh no you don't," I say and reach out for her arm. Immediately, she drops the bag in her hand, spins me around, and has my arm pinned behind my back in a tight hold.
"Miss Parren, your father had my assurance that I would see you safely ensconced at your apartment and introduced to your new boss. Please don't tempt me to go against my word and just leave you here to your own resources," I say quickly and calmly.
People stop to stare at us as she cranes her neck up to snap into my ear, "Well, as you can see, I don't need your help, and I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." Her hold of my arm is mildly painful, and I haven't a doubt she could break it if she chose to. I am so turned on right now.
"Then let me ask to take you to your new apartment and introduce you to my friend, Bryce," I say as politely as I can manage while successfully hiding how much I'm enjoying this -- even with the amused audience of curious tourists.
She releases my arm, and I flex the muscles in it, testing them. This woman is more than meets the eye.
I turn to pick up the bag she dropped and say, "This way, if you please, Miss Parren."
"I can carry my own bag, thank you," she says as she tries to catch up to my quick pace.
Normally, I would never stoop to this menial task, but I guessed correctly that it would annoy her if I did it. "Nonsense," I reply.
"Who are you anyway?" she asks.
"Desmond Lumpkin," I answer brusquely.
"You're the lawyer?" she asks incredulously.
I stop suddenly to turn and face her. "Yes. Why is that a surprise?" I ask just before she tries unsuccessfully to yank her bag from my hand.
"I'd pictured somebody older," she admits as I again keep the bag from her grasp. "I thought you were just some well-dressed lackey."
I chuckle and say, "Thank you for the compliment on my attire, but no. Your father saved my life, so you're my most important order of business at the moment."
"Huh," she scoffs. She acts like she'd planned on saying more, but something distracts her as I throw her bag into the trunk.
I look up at her after I close the trunk to see her staring at my car. I shrug and climb into the driver's seat.
"So," she nags, "you insist on carrying my bag, but you refuse to open my door for me?"
I smile in spite of the anger she hoped I'd feel. I make a show of getting out of my seat with the intention to go open her door, but as I expect, she hops into the passenger side all on her own, mumbling about how I shouldn't bother.
I decide to take her by her residence first, and I keep getting delightfully distracted by her fantastic legs so very near my hand as it rests on the stick shift.
I park my car and say, "I'm sure you're used to better, but this will have to do."
The apartment complex isn't bad. The buildings themselves are about twenty to thirty years old, but they had a new owner that refurbished them about five years ago before going belly-up.
"It's fine," she says.
Again, I insist upon helping her with her things, and again, I do this mostly to annoy her. She, almost timidly to my surprise, tells me to just put the luggage down so she can deal with it later.
"Let's just go and have me meet my new boss, okay?" she asks, and now I see where the nervousness is coming from.
"You don't have anything to worry about from Bryce. He's a good employer from what I can tell," I say, trying to sound reassuring.
"Who says I'm worried about that?" she lightly snaps.
"Your tone said it," I answer evenly.
She nervously brushes her hair out of her eyes and says, "Look. I just want to get this over with since I'm starting tomorrow and I have a bit of jet lag."
I throw my hands up in a gesture of surrender before I say, "All right then. Off we go."
On the way there, I uncharacteristically try to make small talk and I find out she's not actually Agent Parren's biological daughter. In fact, like me, she was adopted. I don't mention to her our similarity.
Bryce
I am so irritated I have to come to work early today. All right, well, I probably would have had to anyway to give interviews if I'd have been lucky enough to get any applicants. Still, this takes away time with Erin. She went home to work on rewriting her book. I told her to go ahead and keep writing it. The whole nanny thing really makes it different from my life.
I see Desmond's car pull up. Here goes.
He speaks up first. "Bryce, this is Marie Parren. Marie, this is my friend, Bryce Burch."
Well, she's got the attractive bit taken care of, I think as I shake her hand. Sorry to say it, but attractive waitresses tend to be more successful.
"Desmond tells me you've never had a job before," I say in an almost-question.
"Not officially, no," she answers. "My mom would have me keep house for her, taking care of my younger brothers, while she worked at a bar she owned."
Babysitter and housekeeper... great, I think sarcastically.
"But I learn fast," she quickly adds.
Sure you do. I've heard that one before, I think as I glance over at Desmond to convey to him that we're even now,...
....but he's too busy staring at Marie with what Jesse would call 'goo-goo' eyes. Interesting.
"Well, let's find out how fast you learn," I say. Then, I turn to Desmond to say, "Thanks, Des. I can take it from here."
He very nearly glares at me. I give him a 'what?' look. I hope he doesn't think I'm interested. Even if I was, like with Bernadette (before I got to know her), I wouldn't. Besides, nobody tops Erin.
Desmond leaves, and I come to find Marie probably does learn fast. Maybe I got lucky and Desmond actually came through for me instead of dumping on me. I've still paid my debt to him for all he did for me, ensuring that Ashley can't touch Adele.
The following night, she proves to me that she retained nearly everything I taught her, even though she looked a little tired yesterday while she learned it. Maybe I should've done this all along: hired someone totally untrained so I could make of them what I want. The real test will be Friday night during the party.
The party... that Captain Jesse will attend... with whatever 'wenches' he manages to acquire. I wonder...
"Hey Marie," I call to her from the bar when things calm down a little. Once she's walked over, I say, "Friday night I usually throw a party, and this week's should be huge."
"Okay," she says.
"Thing is... we dress up from time to time. You know, to have a little fun with the tourists." You are so full of shit, Bryce, I think as I pull out my ability to keep a straight face. Jones wisely keeps his mouth shut. "And since that's tomorrow, I guess you're lacking in the costume department."
"You're right, of course."
I pat myself on the back for already having this. "I have a box here in the bar of old costumes. You can go through it to see if anything will work. You'll probably want to wash whatever you find though." I step out of the way so she can search the box, congratulating myself on my idea.
She's Jesse's type. I feel a little guilty I'm playing this gag on her, so I decide to have Erin pack an outfit Marie could borrow just in case. Jesse will get a kick out of this, and maybe this will distract him a little off of Erin. I hope Marie has a good sense of humor.
"I guess this will do," she says, resigned, holding up the perfect thing to fit with Captain Jesse.
"Oh good," I say in a fake-bored voice.
------------------------------------------------------------
Marie's apartment complex is Colorful Friends02 by ayyuff. I liked it backwards. :)














WHAT THE HELL THAT JACKASS IS COMING TO THE ISLAND?!?!?!?!?! OH Shit that is gonna be good when Bryce kicks his ass. UGH really you fucked her friend, she sold the house and moved listen to her brother she is done with you. Shit now I'm all pissed. Thanks for that.
ReplyDeleteMarie seems like a handful LOL Tomorrow's party should be fun and I bet that is when that ass will make an appearance. No good son of a bitch. He just ruined everything.
Please please please let Bryce kick his ass!!!!
I really am laughing so hard. What a great ab workout! Bryce does need to kick Sean's ass. Real bad. Really real bad. Bad. Badly. I may have to create poses to add variety. Oh, if it happens, that is. (*whispers -- like I would miss that opportunity*)
DeleteSean just can't get it through his incredibly thick skull that he can't win her back. They were really really in love, and he fucked it all up, literally. I'm just amazed Bill even talks to him. idk why I made it that way. Their friendship is strained to the breaking point, but they're still friends. (I'd gone back and forth on that one.)
You're very welcome. You don't have a blood pressure problem I hope not. ??
Marie is a handful for anyone. Sometimes John (her dad) was the only one that could get her to cool it if she lost her temper. Remember, she punched her ex-bestfriend and ex-boyfriend all rolled up in the same guy right in the jaw. (ow) It took both him and his older brother to get her off of the girl he was cheating with (or, almost cheating).
So, you think he'll show up at the party? Maybe. Maybe not. He has to wait until his leave starts.
I'll see what I can do about the ass-kicking. >:)
I just KNEW that jerk was going to show his face at some point! Ugh! And Bryce, you're being a little mean playing a trick on the new girl- shame on you,not gentlemanly at all! I hope Erin kicks your backside for that one! After you kick the Jerk's backside of course
ReplyDeleteYeah, it would be neglectful of me to not have Sean come in at some point. Now, I've given everyone fair warning. I'd thought about just having him 'show up' at some given moment, but I thought that little blurb would create the tension I was hoping for. hehe.
DeleteIndeed! Bryce, that is NOT the best way to welcome the new girl! And using her as a distraction for Jesse when you've SEEN that Desmond looks like he has a thing for her?! Besides.. I thought Jesse was going to the party with Ginger. (Oh, I can't wait to write all that up. Best party ever for a writer!)
Yeah, Erin really should give him a big piece of her mind when she finds out.
:D
Uh oh... So the ex has found Erin. That's exactly what she doesn't need. I can't believe her brother didn't beat him up.
ReplyDeleteYep, he had to hire a private detective to find her too. Erin should've known he'd stoop to that to find her, but honestly, she wants to believe that he and Meredith are still going strong.
DeleteBill has beat Sean up once already, but he's not opposed to doing it again. He and Sean used to be real good friends, even if he didn't really really trust Sean with his sister (for good reason it turns out!). He just doesn't see the real point in beating him up again unless he's going to be a particularly nasty asshole.
Thanks for your comment!
Oh no, oh dear, this does not bode well for Erin and Bryce. I knew the sleaze ball would be looking for Erin soon, and now that he's found her I'm afraid he'll be nothing but a nuisance from here on, I mean if he can't understand what her running away means, getting rid of him will def be very hard.
ReplyDeleteDesmond is crushing over Marie. I don't know what to make of that.
And Bryce planning to bring Jesse in the scheme of things where Marie's concerned, he's really asking for trouble, I don't know what the relationship is between Jesse and Desmond, but if Jesse does go for Marie, it could very well start another feud. Bryce should leave this alone, and stop trying to play match maker.
And why aren't there enough women on the island, it seems there's always some love triangle going on. But I imagine life would be ridiculously boring if everyone always got what they wanted...
No, the dreaded event has happened... he's found her. (don't I remember you saying you'd jump through your computer screen to kick his ass if I made him show up? or was that Meredith? LOL) Mhm, it was an easy guess. Bryce guessed correctly too. I wouldn't want to be in Sean's shoes when those two meet. Sean has military training, but Bryce has breaking-up-bar-brawls training. :)
DeleteNuisance with a capital "N". How thick can a guy get? He holds onto a lame hope that he can keep apologizing his ass off and that will make it all better.
Desmond is attracted to Marie, to be sure. It hasn't quite gotten to the crush part yet. He's still really hurting from what Ginger said to him, but also keep in mind he's been carrying that torch for Ginger for much longer. but... but but but... aren't Ginger and Jesse going to the party together? Jesse and Desmond don't really have much of a relationship other than enjoying getting on the other one's nerves. They're mostly just both friends with Bryce (if Desmond is a friend to anyone). If Jesse goes for Marie lets see - okay... Desmond is attracted to Marie but then Jesse would be attracted to Marie too and Jesse may or may not be going to the party with Ginger as his date yet Desmond has been stuck on her for ages now. Um... that's like a love trapezoid or something LOL.
Nonetheless, I've been having fun creating all this drama, and I'm not done. I still have Belinda... >:)
Oh dear, this is not going to go well. Hopefully Bryce will kick his ass back to where he came from, and away from Erin. Maybe then he'll actually get it through his head that she ran away for a reason; to get away from him.
ReplyDeleteDesmond's little crush on Marie is cute, she seems to be a bit of handful though. I'm looking forward to seeing her reaction about having to dress-up.
Oh dear is right. Bryce will NOT be happy to 'meet' Sean... not to mention Erin won't be happy to see him either, but that goes without saying. Hm, yeah, maybe Bryce can knock some sense into that thick skull of his to get it through to him that he and Erin ARE through! Like Bill said, "She RAN AWAY FROM YOU!"
DeleteDesmond still stings from the mean things Ginger said to him, so he was ripe for considering another to take over his thoughts. (geez, does that make any sense? lol)
Oh my. Marie does NOT have a good sense of humor. I doubt she'll be happy, and she might need that outfit that Bryce had better tell Erin to bring. The whole crowd might just find out how much of a handful Marie really is.
Thanks for your comment!
If that is who I think it is, I hope she tells him to get lost and Bryce punches him hard between the eyes. I don't like that new waitress there something not right there.
ReplyDeleteIt is who you think it is. :/
DeleteI don't think she'll be happy to see him at all. We may get to see another Erin screaming fit.
Everyone wants to see Bryce kick Sean's ass. It's great! *wicked laugh*
You don't like Marie? I don't suppose you have to. She's not lived the pampered life that Desmond mentally accused her of. Her story is a little too similar to Erin's.
Thanks for your comment!
FIGHT FIGHT Ok, great reading this chapter...I can't believe Sean is stupid enough to come to the island. I really will enjoy watching Bryce kick his butt. I can't wait to see what happens with Marie and Desmond.
ReplyDeleteAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA! I can actually hear you from here! Then again, I'm heavily medicated with the flu, so I might actually be hearing things...
DeleteSean loves her and isn't about to give up. He has it in his mind that if he doesn't come after her, then she'll never really believe he loved her at all. Something like that. Like, he thinks this is a test and he has to go after her. He's gonna get a whole 'lotta ugly coming from Bryce if he shows that mug of his on the island.
Ah, Marie and Desmond. Two adults with bad attitudes, Well, that's not really fair to Marie. She's not as bad as Desmond, but she does have her own reasons for being mad at the world and not trust anyone. I wonder what Des will make of Ginger and Jesse showing up together to the party, since it looks like that's what will happen what with Jesse walking up to her after hanging up on the phone with Bryce. :)
Thanks for your comment!
The mind of a cheater can always rationalise why the cheating happened and this guy name Sean thinks it was not a good thing, but there were circumstances. What a jerk. Her brother should have taken the information, or if he did, he needs to warn her that the ex is on the way. New, pretty blonde and ex coming - lots of trouble waiting :(
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I'll say that Erin has stopped checking her email as often as she used to because she got tired of all the 'you're being irresponsible' emails from Bill. ...
DeleteExactly. Sean has himself convinced that somehow he can just ... make it all better! If only Erin would give him a chance! He's learned his lesson! At least that's what he's thinking.
Maybe I should've named this chapter 'trouble' instead of 'danger'. Oh well. :)
Thank you for your comment!
I'm glad we get to meet Sean. Because it's nice to have a face to imagine punching.
ReplyDelete*hoping there will be a scene where Erin kicks him in the nuts coming up*
I'm not sure Bryce's idea is the best thing here. Maybe Marie has a sense of humor, but no one likes to be used. If he told her everyone will be in costume, and it's just her and Jesse, I can't see that going over well. Unless she's an extremely easy going person. Which, so far, does not seem to be the case, seeing hoe she reacted to Desmond.
Hehe, well you don't have an actual face yet, but you will later. :)
DeleteLOL
It's a terrible idea. I mean come on, Bryce! What are you thinking?!
He's such a practical joker at times. He's been hanging around Jesse too long. Oh, what am I kidding. Pam could tell us all about the jokes he'd play on her.
She's not really an easy going person. She tries, but it just doesn't happen that way.
It made my heart sink a little, but I'm sure we all knew Sean would be around sooner than we wanted. Bryce best be polishin' up his left hook.
ReplyDeleteMeantime, I love how you're stirring the pot for all the background characters. I can only imagine how this party's gonna go over!
Yeah, Sean wasn't going to take Erin leaving lying down, and he acted sooner rather than later.
DeleteI had so much fun with the background stuff at this point. :)
So Sean is coming... hope he leaves with his tail between his legs! I just LOVE Marie! Really hope she will be the girl for Jesse. I like Jesse too and think Marie will be perfect for him. Desmond belongs with Ginger, don't loose focus Desmond! I have really taken an interest in all these characters now, enjoy so much reading your story :-)
ReplyDeleteDun dun dun dun! Yes, he's apparently on his way.
Delete:D I'm glad. She's my first story 'baby'.
Hopefully, Jesse and Marie will work out. Bryce just wants her to distract Jesse from Erin, but it may turn out better than he planned.
Hehe, Desmond is angry and hurting and letting his eyes wander. Maybe something will happen to cause his attention to jolt back to where it 'belongs'.
Thank you so much! And you're comments are very sweet, sometimes funny too. I've had a good time reading them as they popped up in my email today. :)
Sean needs to listen to Erin's brother. The fact that she left town should tell him even more clearly than her yelling that they are over! He needs to leave her alone and let her be happy.
ReplyDeleteBryce is trying to fix Jesse up with Marie! I hope it works out that way, but Desmond was already making googoo eyes at her.
Sean won't listen to reason, and Bill knows this. He still tried.
DeleteThings get a little complicated here, even more than I've told.
Oh hell no, I don't think so!! Bryce is gonna beat the shit out of him! I hope so, anyway -.- But it's gonna terrify Erin, seeing his ugly face around the island -.- There, see? I knew things weren't going to stay happy -.- KILL HIM, BRYCE! KILL HIM WITH FIRE! (I'm gonna pretend he's some insect, if you don't mind)
ReplyDeletethe party should be fun to see, but I feel a little bad for Marie that she's already getting involved in everything like this! Though I suppose some places tend to play the new guys a little, and all she has to do is dress up for one night so it's not all that bad :P
I can see you with the magnifying glass pointed at the ant bed...
DeleteYeah.. not that bad.
Hmmm... I bet we get to see Erin throwing something at a certain someone in the future. Perhaps it will connect with something vital and he'll finally take a hint? Lol
ReplyDeleteOh, man. That poor girl might have gotten the better of Desmond, but it looks like Bryce is still going to come out on top. Wonder if she'll flatten him too? Lol. And how like are these cousins! One throws objects, the other throws punches! :D
Erin throw things? Whatever gave you that idea?
DeleteLOL! Erin's favorite weapon is whatever happens to be in reach. She's got pretty damn good aim too.
Marie is a firecracker! She's also a bit of a paradox in and of herself. She's so tough on the outside but so terrified on the inside.
She and Marie aren't cousins. Erin's cousin is someone else. ;)