Saturday, September 8, 2012

3: Matchmaker



Bryce

 

     We enter my sister's house, and Adele immediately runs over to play with her cousin.
    "Baby Jer-Jer!" she giggles and hugs him before they sit on the floor to play. I'm glad they have so much fun together since I leave Adele with Pamela almost every night.
    She speaks up again, this time to my sister, "Hey, Aunt Pamela, Daddy met a girl yesterday." She laughs when I turn around and give her an 'are you crazy? why tell her that!?' look. I shake my head and plop myself down on a bar stool, preparing myself for twenty questions.

     I never flirt with women in front of my daughter. Well, I wasn't exactly 'flirting' yesterday either, but Adele could tell something was up.
     I glance up at Pam. I can hear the wheels turning in her head. She's wondering which question to ask first. I speak up before she can ask, "It was just somebody when we went on a picnic yesterday." I shrug, trying to act nonchalant about the whole thing.
     "Mhm," she responds like she doesn't believe that's all. "In front of Adele?"
     Adele's hearing must be good because she speaks up suddenly. "I told him to. He was just sitting there staring at her the whole time we were eating."
     I put my elbows on the counter and my head in my hands. Adele and Jeremy start playing peek-a-boo, the current favorite game for the toddler. Great, I think sarcastically. This is all I need. My sister butting her nose into my love life. Again. And Adele is just like her. You'd think I was the child here the way they both try to take care of me.
     "So....?" Pamela asks.
     "So what?" I respond like I have no idea what she means when I really do. I look right into her eyes like I dare her to try to get anything out of me that I have no intention of spilling.
     She sighs exasperatedly and walks around the counter.

     She sits herself down next to me and asks, "So, what's she like?"
     I look over at her warily and answer, "She's new to the island, likes to read, and she's... quiet." I sit here and hope that that placates her curiosity. Of course, it doesn't.
     "Oh, a quiet bookworm that just moved here. Doesn't sound like your type," she says in a teasing voice. I know what she's doing. She's trying a reverse psychology thing on me to get me to say more, hoping that I'll argue that she is my type. She continues quietly so that Adele can't hear, her eyes narrowing in a mischievous sort of way, "I thought you only went after tourists because then you didn't have to be serious."
     She wants me to contradict her. Fact is, she's right. At least, with tourists, I know they're going to leave me.
     "You're right. She's not my type at all," I lie.

     She looks like she doesn't believe me. Jeremy squeals in the background as she asks, "So what does she look like?" Damn.
     "She has long blonde hair, glasses and blue eyes." Yeah, beautiful eyes as blue as that water out there. It's a shame they're hidden behind those glasses.
     Pamela asks me to be more descriptive. I tell her I don't know, that I wasn't paying that close attention. 
     "It was just a random person that was at the park the same time we were," I say in an almost agitated way.
     She continues for me, "That you sat and stared at the whole time." She pauses. "Then called up Ginger today to keep a look out and call you if this girl should happen to come by the library any time." She smiles triumphantly.
     My mouth drops open. What is it with these females? This is what I get for trusting Ginger to keep her mouth shut. I should've known she'd call Pamela.
     "I... um... I wanted to be sure to invite her to the party tomorrow night." Crap. Pam is going to take that and run with it. I flounder around, trying to come up with something to say to save myself from my sister's inquisitiveness. 
      "Mhm. You invited her?"

      "Yeah. I remembered she'd said she just moved here, so I thought it would be a nice thing to do," I quickly defend myself. Pamela looks just like Mom right now; it's scary. She has that look that Mom would give me when she wanted me to tell her what really happened with whatever happened.
     "Seems to me a pretty drastic thing to do to call up Ginger and ask her to be lookout just to invite her to a party."
     "Well, it's being held at my bar, so why not? And I thought that she seemed the bookish type." Of course, I also called up Desmond at the courthouse, Lynne at the spa, and Jesse at his store.
     "Who else did you call?"
      Everybody. Damn. What was I thinking?
      I avoid the question and say, "I just wanted to make sure she got the invite. You know, I wanted to make sure she felt welcome." I'm desperate to save this whole situation. I don't know if anything is going to happen anyway, and I don't want to raise any expectations with anyone.
      "Then why not tell them to invite her if they saw her? Why did they have to call you and tell you they'd seen her?" Pamela asks me, one eyebrow raised. She already knew I'd called everyone.
     Shit. "Because..." She looks at me expectantly. I wilt and surrender the information dejectedly, "Because I wanted to be the one to invite her. Because I wanted to ask her out before anyone else did. I don't think the invite came across that way anyway, but I can still hope she comes."
      She giggles and claps her hands excitedly. "I knew it!"
      "Pamela..." I whine. "Please don't get involved. Besides, it could all come to nothing," I say and watch her get up and dance around the kitchen.
      Ever since Ashley left me, Pamela has been trying to set me up with one girl after another, thinking that would make the hurt go away. Well, it didn't work! Ashley left us and had someone else deliver the divorce papers for me to sign. Ever since then, I've not taken any relationship seriously. Tourists are perfect for that. One week romance, my heart stays safe. Well, Erin is... I don't know. I'm treading dangerous waters here.

    "What has you dancing around the kitchen, baby?" my brother-in-law Simon says to her as he walks in the back door, kisses my sister on the cheek, and then trudges over to the edge of the counter to watch the kids play. He looks exhausted.
     I look over at him and say in a concerned voice, "Why not have a seat, bro? You look dead on your feet."
    "If I sit down, I'm going to fall asleep," he says and runs his hand over his face. Pamela starts cooking something or other. "I hate candles," he says while glaring at the coffee table where a candle sits unlit. Since he's a firefighter, I have a good idea why he'd say something like that.
     "Again?!" Pamela asks him.
    "Yes, but this time we got there in time. The only things damaged were a curtain, the lamp the candle sat next to, and a little bit of the wall," he says wearily, and I'm just happy the focus has shifted off me. He looks up at me and asks, "That party's tomorrow right?"
     At the same time I give him a yes, Pamela chirps up, "And Bryce has asked out someone for it."
     Simon shrugs and says, "Well, I figured he'd grab somebody." Thank you! Finally! Someone that gets it!
      Pamela continues, "A new neighbor."
     Simon's eyebrows raise as he looks up at me again. Jeremy screams at Adele because she's kept her face hidden too long. I get up to leave.

      "Yeah, I'd heard someone bought Carter's old place," Simon says. "I wonder if that's the one."
      News to me.
     "I bet it is," Pamela answers him. I turn back around and wonder if Simon is going to volunteer more information... information I'm suddenly desperate to know. Pam doesn't miss my hopefully pondering expression. Simon watches me too. Then he and Pam smile at each other knowingly.
      I groan at both of them and say, "I've got to get to work. I'll leave you matchmakers to your empty dreams." I kiss my daughter on the cheek and walk out the door.

28 comments:

  1. Haha he is caught! Asking all around town... but now he knows where she lives ^_^

    I like his sister and her husband :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, now he's regretting he did that hehe. I mean, what was he thinking? Did he honestly expect his friends NOT to jump all over that?

      Hm. Yes, he has a good guess where she lives now. The island isn't that big, and news travels fast.

      I can tell I'm really going to have a lot of fun with Simon and Pamela (and baby Jer-Jer)! I'm glad they're likeable.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, his wife just left him and their daughter? That is cold, run off with another guy maybe? What an interesting turn, they will maybe unknowingly help each other heal and trust again. Maybe her book will have a happy ending.

    His sister is funny, prying for more info. Can't wait to see how the party goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bryce has had his share of emotional scarring as well. His ex just up and left him, he'll explain it in more detail later. I feel the worst for Adele.
      That would be so sweet if they could help one another. I love happy endings! :)

      Oh, I had loads of fun with Pamela. Their parents died in a car crash, and even though they were both adults when it happened, Pamela has felt like she needed to step in and take care of her little brother whether he wants it or not.

      Me too! lol. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Haha. I really like this. I love the way you get to see both sides of the story. He's totally crushing on her bigtime and rather she likes it or not, she's crushing on him as well. Oh, btw, I love the typeface your using for the story. Makes it very easy to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, neither of them want to admit they really like the other one. They've both been so hurt in the past. You like the typeface? Oh good. I wanted to pick one that looked like handwriting like someone writing in their diary (actually my first choice was way too cursive-y). I'm glad it's easy to read.

      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I found Pamela's curiosity too funny, that's how I get with DH when he tells me about his best friend's latest girlfriend, I always want details and of course, it never crosses hubby's mind to grill his best friend for details.

    I like his relationship with Pamela, they seem close, and yep, he's totally crushing on Erin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggles* I'm tickled you connected with Pamela like that. Maybe I'm channeling you to create her character? :) Why is it guys never grill each other for details?! Don't they know we want info!?

      Since their parents' death, they've become really close. Other than her small family, they are all the family they really have.

      He IS totally crushing on Erin, but don't tell HIM that!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Pamela's is so nosey, I like it but now he knows where she lives. I wonder if he will skip work and go and visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. Pamela is nosey because she's the concerned older sister. Yeah, she could stand to lay off a little, but she just wants him to be happy, and she doesn't think he's happy.

      Hm, maybe he will, maybe he won't!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. ~ I love his family,don't like what his wife did to him or his daughter,I feel sorry for them both!
    ~ I wonder if Erin gets to know them will she tell him she is writing a book based loosely of him!LOL!
    ~ Off to read more,I did not know I had missed one,sorries! (",)
    ~ Did I say I am loving it!? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~I'm going to have lots of fun with his family. Yes, what his ex-wife did to them is despicable. What exactly happened is explained further in a later chapter.
      ~I can imagine if Erin told him that she'd probably die of embarrassment! :D
      ~Hey, don't worry about missing them. They're not going anywhere and I'm releasing them probably a tad too fast, but I can't help it!
      ~I'm glad. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. 'Of course, I also called up Desmond at the courthouse, Lynne at the spa, and Jesse at his store.' Get a grip man, slow and steady wins the race. My he has got it bad, its almost as if he posted all these people around the island. Hi I fell into your story and am loving it. It is creatively written and the one liners are so funny. I am definitely adding this to my reading list, oh and I'm glad they are coming out fast I like having a few to read at a time. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      Yes, he got a little impetuous when she walked away from him. He wasn't about to let that meeting be the last of it. He knows the island, and he has many friends in very strategic locations.
      I'm thrilled you're loving it! I frequently get the sillies when I'm writing, hence the one liners be they comical, cynical or just pathetic. I'm glad you don't mind that they're coming out fast. I don't do well sitting on finished chapters.

      Thank you for your encouragement, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Wow, he went through quite a bit of effort to find her! With their stories, they seem almost perfect for each other. I wonder what's going to go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he knows everyone n he was determined. Wrong? What makes you think something will go wrong? *bats eyes innocently * lol!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  9. It was great getting to see Bryce's point of view, and meet his family. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked that. I bounce around frequently from different p.o.v.s, but the fallback/default one is Erin's. If there's no name at the beginning, it's her. That, or I put her name in when it switches back to her. One chapter, I think I switch 5 times... that was a little crazy but so was what went on. :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. I think it's cool that Bryce and Erin have more in common than they think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do! Now if they could just explore that... hehe.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Heehee bryce is super cute so far, but not so stealthy, lol. Seems like he and erin might have some common points they'd both rather not think about, which only thickens the plot, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL he let down his guard, and without realizing it, he uncharacteristically got obvious about the fact that he wanted to chase Erin.
      Exactly on the common points thing. :)

      Delete
  12. I love how his sister grilled him. She knew just what to say to get the info she wanted. Must have come from a lifetime of practice! LOL

    It was fun the way he tried to get out of admitting his interest in Erin. I hope she doesn't disappoint him because he seems very interested in her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I had so much fun orchestrating that. I'm glad it seemed that way because I myself have no talent for getting people to spill the beans.

      He's afraid to admit his interest in case nothing happens.

      Delete
  13. Haha, n'awww, there we go, I knew he was smitten but he seems to have fallen pretty hard already! :P It'll be interesting to see how the party plays out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Now *that* is some serious effort just to be able to ask Erin out! Poo thing. Lol. Now what will he do with her address? 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how VERY close she is. She really did stay holed up in her house for a long while, or he and Jesse would've spotted her real soon.

      Delete